Monday, December 8, 2008

The Most Dangerous Thing

(Image Credit: britsattheirbest.com)



"What’s the most dangerous thing in the world?"

"A black person with a library card."

This was a remark made by a character on the hit cable television series “The Wire.” The speaker was a man known for his erudition. He read a lot, and instead of carrying a gun as the other gangsters did, he carried books. His daily reading included Harpers, The Nation, and other such weighty publications. Yet, he is not a noble character. He is a drug dealer like the rest of them.

I bring this up because I have a library card and I read voraciously. Yet, no one considers me a threat. Why?

This goes beyond my “learning about the world” challenge. The challenge is about stretching myself outside of my comfort zone of knowledge. It’s about exploring all there is about the world from science and culture to history and religion. This other thing I’m talking about, this being a “threat” is about my position in the professional world. There is no question that I am immensely good at what I do. Yet, I am still waiting for the promotion and recognition I know I’ve earned. No, that’s not entirely true. I’m not waiting for it; I’m going after it aggressively.

No comments: