Monday, December 22, 2008

Next Stop: Factory Girls

The next book on my list is Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China
by Leslie T. Chang. What is this obsession, this proclivity I have toward Asian culture? And really, it's not Asian culture so much as I am interested in the rights and cultural lives of women in that area. The Asian Mystique: Dragon Ladies, Geisha Girls, & Our Fantasies of the Exotic Orient
was the first such book I read addressing American interpretations of Asian culture. Then there was the Memoirs of a Geisha
. I didn't really get into that book so much, but I know it added to my interest of region and women's rights.

I look forward to reading the book. From the jacket cover, I think it may also have a lot to do with globalization and business: two additional areas in which I have a great interest.



No comments: